The Mechanical Designer/Drafter creates designs primarily for wood-handling equipment, devices and structures for the Sawmill Industry. Designers work with Engineers and other professionals to create or improve manufacturing systems and/or processes.
- Associate Degree including mechanical design principles, advanced mathematics and engineering technologies.
- Minimum of two years’ experience designing for the wood-products industry.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD 2014-15 design software and Inventor.
- Able to develop 2D and 3D digital models of mechanical equipment designs, including system calculations and project budgets.
- Able to review specifications and other data to develop mechanical layouts.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent technical communication skills with Engineers and manufacturing personnel.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Create technical drawings, manufacturing schematics, and 2D and 3D digital models of mechanical equipment designs, using measurements, specifications and additional data from engineering team.
- Collect initial drawings, calculations and design ideas from Engineers, and combine all relevant data into coherent and complete initial design models for review and modification.
- Coordinate directly with Engineers and Project Managers to understand project requirements, verify design details and recommend modifications as needed according to company standards and best practices.
- Annotate and verify all numerical designations and specifications in technical drawings and schematics, using both CAD programs and manual calculations as necessary.
- Provide support to engineering team as needed by creating technical drawings and digital models within deadlines and utilizing multiple methods to ensure deliverables include all relevant design details.
- Assist in ongoing project to standardize and unify design document standards by participating in meetings and preparing presentation materials as necessary.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to type on a keyboard.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Standing and walking on uneven surfaces 20 % of the time
- Sitting 80 %
- Lifting up to 10 lbs. frequently.
- Lifting up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
WCIS is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.